Integrated essay- Schooling system

Integrated essay- Schooling system

The lecturer points out some weaknesses of the chronologically graded 12-year school system, which is introduced in the reading passage. He highlights the following problems.

First of all, he contends that having a fixed age for starting the formal school education , as is mentioned in the reading, is not reasonable. He believes that there are significant discrepancies among children regarding to their physical, mental, and social maturity. Thus, while some children are ready to go to school even in younger ages than 6 the other may need more time to be mature enough for school education.

Another problem which is underlined by the lecturer is that the promotion plan in traditional graded system is not proper. According to the passage, students who cannot fulfill the minimum requirements for a grade should repeat the same year. The lecturer says that this leads the students to become bored, to feel lower self-confidence, and to drop out of school. He believes that group based quantitative assessments of the current system should be replaced with individual based qualitative ones.

Moreover, the lecturer indicates the differences in the speed of learning among the students of a particular class as another problem of the system described in the passage. He believes that by putting the same aged students in one class some students may have difficulties to grasp the subjects while the other may feel board as the subject seems easy to them. Thus, it is not a good educational system.