TOEFL Sample essay : integrated essay from TPO1

The reading passage compares a five-day workweek with a four-day workweek and explains three advantages of a four-day workweek. However, the lecturer finds all the ideas doubtful and presents some evidence to refute them all.

First, the author of the passage states that working four days a week instead of five days with lower wages will improve the profit of the company. In contrast, the lecturer brings up reasons to reject this idea. He states that offering a four-day workweek for employees causes the company to spend more money. For instance, hiring new staff needs extra costs such as expenses for training new workers, medical benefits, more office space, and more computers. As a result, the company’s profit will decrease.

Second, it is mentioned in the article that payment of 80 percent of a normal wage for a four-day workweek employee and reduction of costs of the company will decrease unemployment which would benefit the economic condition of the country. Conversely, the speaker disproves the idea due to the fact that working 4 days a week doesn't mean that many more jobs will become available. Companies have other options to accomplish their jobs instead of hiring new staff that is costly. For example, they can ask their workers to make up the difference between 4 and 5 day workweek by overtime working. Additionally, this will increase expectation of the company that workers should do the same amount of work in 4 days while they used to do in 5 days and consequently, current jobs would be unpleasant.

Finally, the reading passage asserts that an offer of a four-day workweek for employees will increase their free time which will improve their quality of life. On the contrary, the professor draws attention to the risk of decreasing quality of workers' life by reducing their job stability and harming their chance for promotion. They are more likely to lose their jobs during an economic downturn. In addition, they will be passed over for promotion to a management position because the company prefers a five-day continuous coverage and consistent supervision for entire workweek.

Hi,
First, I want to be familiar with academic essay writing. Then, I will reduce the time to 20 or 30 minutes in the case. I have spent more than standard time on my first essays to write and revise so I think they don't need to be graded. I will apply the points that you note in my next writing but I first send some independent and integrated essays that I have written before.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.