TPO 44 Integrated Writing Task

In 1957 a European silver coin was found in state of Maine in the United states. Although the writer holds the opinion that the coin is more likely to be a historical fake, the speaker disagrees with this statement offering three arguments.

To begin with, the passage asserts that the location where the coin was discovered was considerably far from sites documenting Norse presence in North America. However, the lecture opposes this claim by saying that according to the fact that people could have travelled and brought back objects. This can be an evidence of objects that have been found with a great distance from Norse settlement.

As well as that, the passage averts that no real coins have been found in places inhabited by Norse. Therefore, it is unlikely they brought any coins to North America. The lecture, however disputes this assertion by claiming that there is a possibility that they packed up their coins when returning from their voyage to Europe. Not to use the coins, but to take them back to Europe in their next trip.

Lastly, the author claims that North Americans would not have recognized silver coins in that era. This establishes that even if they have came into contact with the coin, it was useless for them. The lecture disapproves this statement mentioning that they could have used it for other purposes such as jewelry. Liking it for its unusual and beautiful shape.