News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
The scientists called for massive increase in funding to develop new AIDS treatment.
(2)
Nobel laureate was chosen to be the head of the panel.
(3)
The scientists had no control over federal budget.
(4)
The fund for AIDS research was expected to be a billion dollars altogether by 1990.
(5)
Before the increase in funding, two hundred fifty million dollars was spent annually.
(6)
The source of that billion dollars is not announced.

2. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The National Academy of Sciences decided six months ago to organize panel to ___________.

a. urge President Reagan to take the lead in the nation's fight against AIDS b. examine the progress that the country made in combating AIDS c. call on an increase in funding for AIDS research d. launch a billion-dollar information campaign to keep the AIDS epidemic from spreading
(2) The Academy today called on an enormous increase in funding for AIDS research and education because ____________. a. it is able to contribute a sizable portion of the funds needed b. it has a firm control over the federal budget c. the panel is chaired by Nobel laureate David Baltimore d. it has great influence upon the general public

3. Focusing on Details. Fill in the detailed information according to what you have heard.
(1) The whole lot of little pieces of money should be shared by
and
.
(2) The education efforts have been inadequate because
  a. officials have spent only
as much money as they should have on sex education,
  b. health officials have been too
to
or to
.
(3) They are calling for people to take
in situations where they may
.
(4) The panel said condoms are one way to
. Now it's time to prevent the
from
. Already more than
Americans have been
.
(5) AIDS is not just
that can
and
. They say now AIDS is
that can affect
.

Listening answers

News in Detail

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)

and
.
  a. officials have spent only
  b. health officials have been too
to
or to
.
(3) They are calling for people to take
in situations where they may
.
. Now it's time to prevent the
from
. Already more than
Americans have been
.
(5) AIDS is not just
that can
and
. They say now AIDS is
that can affect
.