News in Detail

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News in Detail

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) Kurt Waldheim, the former United Nations Secretary General, was indicted for war crimes ____________.

a. in Moscow in 1948 b. in Yugoslavia in 1947 c. in Moscow in 1947 d. in Mugoslavia in 1948
(2) All the details of the indictment became known ____________. a. in 1947 b. in 1948 c. last year d. today
(3) According to an American newspaper, the indictment may have been used by Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union to blackmail kurt Waldheim ____________. a. during his career as United Nations Secretary General b. throughout his campaign last spring for the Austrian Presidency c. immediately after the Second World War d. when he was recruited by Moscow in 1948
(4) That Yugoslavia indicted Waldheim forty years ago ____________. a. has not been known until today b. has been known to the public all along c. appeared in a Washington Post report today d. became known for the first time during his campaign for Austrian Presidency last year
(5) New details were released by ____________. a. Mike Shuster b. the Justice Department c. the Simon Wiesenfeld Center d. former Yugosslav intelligence and government officials

2. Focusing on Details. Fill in the blanks with specific information about Kurt Waldheim.
(1) In the accusation of Waldheim's participation in the planning for these reprisals, a list of his activities written out which include:
  a. May 1944,
was
;
  b. Macedonia, September-October, 1944,
were
;
  c. Village of Smola,
were
;
  d. Garbervo,
were
and
were
.
(2) In 1944 and 1945, the German army undertook
in the Yugoslav regions of
,
and
in retaliation for
on German army units. The reprisals usually involved
of local civilians:
for each German killed and
.
(3) The indictment of Waldheim makes the argument that
in the Balkans, but the
, the specific
, the specific
, were for the
to work out. Waldheim was
in one of those units.
(4) The indictment says, "On
of all that has been
, the
that Lieutenant Kurt Waldheim is
responsible for the war crimes
."

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
When Kurt Waldheim was running for the United Nations Secretary General he admitted that he has been indicted in Yugoslavia.
(2)
Yesterday Kurt Waldheim admitted through a spokesman that he had been a supply officer and an interpreter in the Balkans.
(3)
The spokesman for Kurt Waldheim did not comment on the details of the indictment.
(4)
According to the Washington Post report, Yugoslav made an effort to blackmail Kurt Waldheim in 1948.
(5)
The Washington Post report suggests that the indictment might have been made for the purpose of blackmailing Waldheim but not bringing him to trial.
(6)
The spokesman for Waldheim admitted that Waldheim had been approached by Yugoslav intelligence officials but denied that he had even been recruited.
(7)
Attorney General Meese said today that Waldheim would be denied further entry into the United States.

Listening answers

News in Detail

a. May 1944,
was
;
  b. Macedonia, September-October, 1944,
were
;
  c. Village of Smola,
were
;
  d. Garbervo,
were
and
were
.
in the Yugoslav regions of
,
and
in retaliation for
of local civilians:
for each German killed and
.
in the Balkans, but the
, the specific
, the specific
, were for the
to work out. Waldheim was
in one of those units.
(4) The indictment says, "On
of all that has been
, the
that Lieutenant Kurt Waldheim is
responsible for the war crimes
."

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)