News Item 1:

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News Item 1:

1. General Comprehension. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The House had a debate today on a bill about ______________.

a. traffic problem b. illegal use of drugs c. use of illegal drugs d. drug smuggling
(2) The measure has been supported by ________________. a. most House representatives b. the House Speaker c. representatives from most drug producing countries d. the US President
(3) The bill _______________. a. has passed today b. will pass tomorrow c. is expected to pass today d. is expected to pass tomorrow
(4) The bill would require drug producing countries ______________. a. to provide money for development loans b. to provide money to increase coast guard personnel c. to establish eradication programs d. to reduce their production of drugs

2. Spot dictation. Listen again and fill in the following blanks.
    Among other things, the bill would increase
for
, provide money to increase
and
, and require drug producing countries to
as a
of US
.

Listening answers

News Item 1:

for
, provide money to increase
and
as a
of US
.