News Item 1

Listening audio
Listening level
Advanced

News Item 1:
1. Fill in the following chart about Harry Claiborne.
(1) Name: Harry Claiborne
(2) Occupation:
(3) State of residence:
(4) Crime:

2. Choose the best answer (a, b, c, or d) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) The ___________ is in the midst of its first impeachment trial in more than _________.

a. Senate; a decade b. House of Representatives; five years c. Senate; five years d. House of Representatives; a decade
(2) The prosecutors are members of ____________. a. the Senate b. the House of Representatives c. the State court d. the Supreme Court
(3) Claiborne failed to pay ____________. a. The income tax b. the sales tax c. the legacy tax d. the property tax
(4) The Senate has set aside ___________ for this trial. a. two weeks b. two days c. four weeks d. four days

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
Claiborne has refused to give up his seat in the Supreme Court.
(2)
Claiborne's attorney denied that Claiborne had ever evaded tax.
(3)
Claiborne's attorney pointed out that the prosecutors simply wanted to remove Claiborne from his present position.
(4)
The prosecutors believed that both Claiborne's and the government's conducts were on trial.

Listening answers

News Item 1:
(1) Name: Harry Claiborne
(2) Occupation:
(3) State of residence:
(4) Crime:

3. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)