Task 2: Night Flight

Listening audio
Listening level
Intermediate

Task 2: Night Flight

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
The flight was conducted on Christmas Eve, 1969.
(2)
The plane would reach its destination Brisbane at one Christmas morning.
(3)
During the flight nearly half of the passengers got ill because of the fish they had eaten.
(4)
The two pilots and the radio operator also got poisoned and fainted. That made the case extremely dangerous.
(5)
Though the hostess did not announce the danger to the passengers, they still came to realize that something was wrong.
(6)
The plane finally landed in Brisbane with the help of a passenger who was a pilot himself.

2. Choose the best answer (a, b or c) to complete each of the following statements.
(1) While the hostesses started preparing the food trays, most of the passengers were __________.

a. sleeping b. reading c. talking
(2) The plane was usually ___________. a. not full b. nearly full c. full
(3) Two passengers got sick when __________. a. the hostesses were collecting the trays b. the hostesses were having dinner c. the hostesses were in the galley putting things away
(4) According to the radio operator, the only way out was _____________. a. for him to land the plane b. to revive the two pilots c. to wait for help
(5) Though the two pilots collapsed, the plane was still flying because _____________. a. it was on automatic pilot b. the radio operator could fly the plane c. a passenger knew how to fly a plane
(6) The passenger at first refused to fly the plane because ___________. a. he was boasting when he said he had been a pilot b. he was too old to fly a plane c. he had never flown four-engined planes
(7) The Air Traffic Control told the performing pilot to circle above Brisbane because __________. a. they hadn't prepared well b. they wanted him to use up most of the fuel c. there was no empty runway
(8) As the plane approached the runway, ____________. a. the airport was on fire b. ambulances were ready for rescue c. fire trucks and ambulances were ready for rescue

3. Fill in the blanks.
(1) Nearly half of the passengers were ill
ill. Several were
, some were
in pain, and two were
.
(2) The man sat down
. His hands were
.
(3) An hour later the lights of Brisbane appeared
. He could see
shining brightly
.
(4) In the cabin the hostess and the doctor were busy
. Several people were
. The plane circled for
. The passengers had begun to realize that
.
(5) There was a tremendous
as the wheels
, bounced twice,
the runway and screeched
.

Listening answers

Task 2: Night Flight

1. True or False Questions.
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)

a. sleeping b. reading c. talking

3. Fill in the blanks.
ill. Several were
, some were
in pain, and two were
.
(2) The man sat down
. His hands were
.
. He could see
shining brightly
.
. Several people were
. The plane circled for
.
(5) There was a tremendous
as the wheels
, bounced twice,
the runway and screeched
.