PTE preparation update.

Hello everyone,

I hope all of you are doing great!

I'm here today just to ask about everyone's preparation and result. Did anyone get their pte cleared? I am getting stuck with reading section all the time and now it has become a kind of frustration for me. Can anyone share some good tips on cracking down reading section? And guys if you get your PTE cleared then please kindly share your exam experience, the strategies you followed in each section and each particular type questions, time management, any kind of turbulence you faced during exam, any new pattern changes in pte exam or addition of more questions in exam. It would be really helpful for all the group members I believe.

Here I am sharing mine:

1. I have given PTE 5 times and yet I have not cleared it unfortunately, but in my second last attempt I faced a number of technical issues due to that my fifth attempt happened and in that also I faced bit of technical issues and wasn't able to clear in that attempt as well.
2. I noticed few changes in PTE exam that they have increased the number of questions in Reading by 1 means I got 16 instead of 15 and in Listening I got 22 questions instead of 18 with 4 or 5 WFD.
3. I also found few videos in SST, select missing word and retell lecture.
4. Few questions were repeated several times in SWT, Retell lecture, describe image, SST.

Guys I would recommend to practice vocal warm up exercises before the speaking exam, here is the link provided below:

https://www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_how_to_speak_so_that_people_w…

Lastly, if anyone is attempting the PTE exam then please do not forget to share your experience and result and also any update or changes or repeated questions regarding PTE exam so that it would help others, I believe.

Feel free to share any kind of queries and experience on this platform. Keep this group lively guys with your new updates.

Happy study:)

Thanks & Regards,
Jyoti

Thank you, Jyoti, to share the test experience. I have taken IELTS once, PTE twice. but I would like to say PTE is more difficult, though IELTS is not easy.

The PTE listening and reading passages can be based on academic readings, which is so hard for me.

Also I would like to take the speaking test in front of a person in IELTS instead of a computer screen in PTE. Most scary part in PTE speaking section is graphs and charts where I only have 25 seconds to study the image. My brain is blank when It is time to talk about something.

Good luck guys, but I have to say bye to PTE.

Hi Permalink,

Do not lose hope, you can do. I know it's difficult but it is not insurmountable. In speaking, say something without getting hesitated and content is not that much imperative than oral fluency and pronunciation so concentrate on these two things more than content, that is to important but you can manage to say something related to image( high, low or one more point and conclusion) or lecture.
Try to give one more attempt.

Wish you all the luck of the world.

Concentrate.

Happy study:)
Jyoti

PTE Reading test is aimed at evaluating a candidate’s ability to read and interpret academic English. Dividing the reading test into various tasks, it assesses a test tasker’s ability to analyse and comprehend academic vocabulary, information presented in an implicit or explicit manner in the form of words, phrases and/or abstract information.

The candidate must be able to identify the topic, supporting points, examples and the context in which the text is written. Total time allotted for the reading test is approximately 32-41 minutes.

The followings are the tips I like:

MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS, CHOOSE SINGLE ANSWER

This item type requires you to carefully read, analyse and comprehend the text on an academic topic and choose a single correct response. The objective of this test is to evaluate your ability to grasp the main idea, analyse the discourse of the text and understand the writer’s purpose to make inferences.

TIPS:

.Take a quick look at the questions before you start reading the given passage. This will help you locate only the information you want.
.Read carefully and try to understand the main idea behind the passage. You should be able to describe it in your own words.
.Once you recognise the key idea of the text, look for the supporting ideas and details
.Read the questions and options again, if needed. If you are able to find the correct answer, select it. Else, look for the ones that are absolutely incorrect. This will narrow your search process.
.Since the questions left unanswered are marked as incorrect, do not leave any of them unanswered. Try to choose the right option or make a guess.
.For effective time management, do not spend more than 1.5 minutes on one question

TIPS:

Re-order Paragraphs

This item type requires you to restore the passage given in a random order in its original order. It assesses a test taker’s ability to understand the overall idea of the passage and to put them back in the right order that makes sense.

TIPS:

.Look for the topic sentence that can stand alone. Every paragraph written in a logical order begins with a topic sentence. Unlike other sentences that follow to support ideas, links, facts and other information later in the paragraph, the topic sentence does not begin with any linker and can give you the much needed opening.
.Search for the Nouns, Pronouns, Adjectives and time-related phrases. Pronouns such as he, she, they, these, those etc. will help you establish the right order quickly. Sentences beginning with Pronouns will never come first in the order.
.Pay attention to the clue-words
.Aim to spend no more than 3-4 minutes on any re-order the paragraph question

READING: FILL IN THE BLANKS

This item type consists of a passage with some missing words in between. You have to choose the right words from a list of words given to fill in the blanks. The number of words in the list are more than the number of gaps, so you will never be able to use all the provided words.

TIPS:

.Skim the text to grab the main idea of the passage
.Make use of ‘Collocation’ i.e. look for the words that often go together to form a phrase
.Search for the missing part of speech to choose the right word for the gap. Always understand the context of the sentence before choosing the word. For instance, hearing and listening infer different meanings.
.Spend approximately 2 minutes on each question.

READING & WRITING: FILL IN THE BLANKS

In this question type, you will see a text with a number of gaps on the screen. You are required to fill in the gaps by choosing a word from the drop down list provided just next to the gap.

TIPS:

.Read the passage to comprehend its overall meaning. This will help you pick the right word that fits in context to the given blank.
.Options provided in the drop down menu are quite deceptive and appear similar. However, they carry different meanings and are used in different contexts. So, do not rush in making the choices.
.Read either side of the gap to help yourself narrow the choices without wasting much time.