ETS Launches the SuccessNavigator™ Assessment to Improve Student Success and Retention Rates at Colleges Nationwide

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 05/20/2013 - 11:00

PRINCETON, N.J., May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Colleges face daunting challenges not only retaining students, but also ensuring they graduate. In response, ETS has announced the availability of the
SuccessNavigator
assessment, a new tool that gives advisors a holistic view of the critical factors that most directly influence student success. 

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120110/DC33419LOGO)

Created by ETS, a leader in higher education assessment, the SuccessNavigator assessment is a 30-minute online non-proctored self-assessment and development tool for incoming college students in both community college and four-year settings. Individual score reports are delivered to both the student and the advisor and an aggregate institutional report is also provided. These reports go beyond a simple listing of scores; they provide tailored student feedback and customized action plans.

"The customized score report is unlike any other score report from ETS, providing advisors with details that can help them give more informed advice," says David Payne, Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of ETS's Higher Education Division. "With a detailed action plan for each student, advisors can more efficiently and effectively guide students to success."

The SuccessNavigator™ Advisor Report provides an explanation of each student's skill level in four areas that greatly influence student success and retention: academic skills, commitment, self-management and social support. The report also includes "Next Steps" on how to improve upon and develop all the skills necessary for success. Specific next steps can include anything from tutoring to health, wellness, and career counseling to ensure that students have the support they need to continue their education.

Using a holistic, multiple-measures approach to student evaluation, the SuccessNavigator assessment can also supplement course placement decisions. When paired with traditional cognitive placement exams, the SuccessNavigator assessment identifies those students who are candidates for acceleration through a developmental education sequence, or those who can bypass the final level of developmental coursework and be placed directly in credit-bearing classes.

"The unique SuccessNavigator Advisor Reports will be pivotal in supporting our students' success," said Kevin Li, Dean of Instruction, Wilbur Wright College, City Colleges of Chicago. "Paired with City Colleges' placement examinations, the SuccessNavigator assessment has the potential to help us more accurately place — and when appropriate, accelerate students — to optimize our retention and graduation rates."

The SuccessNavigator assessment is now available to institutions nationwide. Test administration and reporting will begin in summer 2013. To learn more, visit www.ets.org/successnavigator.  

About ETS
At ETS, we advance quality and equity in education for people worldwide by creating assessments based on rigorous research. ETS serves individuals, educational institutions and government agencies by providing customized solutions for teacher certification, English language learning, and elementary, secondary and post-secondary education, as well as conducting education research, analysis and policy studies. Founded as a nonprofit in 1947, ETS develops, administers and scores more than 50 million tests annually — including the TOEFL
® and TOEIC
® tests, the GRE
® tests and The Praxis Series™ assessments — in more than 180 countries, at over 9,000 locations worldwide.

SOURCE Educational Testing Service

(Reuters) - Violent thunderstorms were forecast to hit the central United States on Monday, threatening to bring additional hail, heavy rain and tornadoes to the region stricken by a deadly twister during the weekend. The National Weather Service said severe storms would hit the Ozarks and the middle Mississippi Valley, with the greatest risk in northwest Arkansas, far southeast Kansas, southern Missouri, most of Oklahoma and northern Texas. "A very moist atmosphere will become quite unstable again today," the forecasters said. ...

The frenzy for last minute tickets is over. The numbers have been picked out. Somewhere, a single person is $590.5 million richer. Last night's record Powerball jackpot has a winner but we have no idea who that person is yet. 

“Can you imagine if things were reversed and somebody did that to the U.S.?"

For most of her 20-year marriage to Steve Jobs, Laurene Powell Jobs was content to be a behind-the-scenes philanthropist.

Friday's horrifying crash on the Metro North railway in Connecticut has halted train service for hundreds of thousands of daily commuters in and out of New York City. And as the big Monday commute approaches, officials want you to know that the highways probably can't handle the anticipated influx of extra cars.

Dear American Consumers: Please don t start eating healthfully. Sincerely, the Food Industry

The IRS' office of Exempt Organizations sounds like a terrible place to work. Piling on to the critical report from a Treasury Inspector General, at least four sweeping media assessments this weekend show a department that is overwhelmed, underfunded, and poorly managed.

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (AP) — Ron Poirier couldn't escape the feeling that his cancer was somehow a punishment.

Article references
news.yahoo.com