Integrated WritingA recent study reveals that people especially young people are reading far less literature—novels, plays, and poems—than they used to. This is troubling because the trend has unfortunate effects for the reading public, for culture in gen

It is often said that nowadays, people read literature less than past generations. The listening and reading are contradictory with each other around this point of view.

First, the writer believes that literature is the solitary material which provides the intellectual stimulation. So, by reading less literature, the reading public is missing out on important advantages. But the professor in the lecture says that there are other kinds of materials such as history and political analysis with high quality in raising the intellectual stimulation. Therefore, we must not assume that when someone is not reading literature, he is not reading a good book.

Second, the listening, contrary to the reading, says that there are plenty types of materials rather than literature such as music and movies in order to evaluate the culture. Culture has changed and in today's culture, there are many forms of materials other than poems and novels.

Third, it is true that there is less support for literature. But consider that it is not the reader's fault, because the modern literature is difficult to understand. So, there is no reason to support it.