TPO 17 - Question 3
New Library Workspaces
Say good-bye to the big, multiperson study tables in Turner Library. This summer, the tables will be exchanged for new personal study cubicles—small, one-person desks enclosed by walls. These new units will allow students to have privacy and work in isolation and will therefore eliminate noise in the library so students can concentrate. Additionally, the cubicles will enable the library to accommodate the recent increase in the number of students attending our university. Although the current tables seat six students each, they make poor use of the available floor space. The cubicles, on the other hand, are designed for maximum space efficiency, and the library can therefore add 50 new seats.
1. They are making a mistake.
2. What do you mean?
3. Look, they are trying to do away with distractions so we can study better.
4. But with this change, we won't have anywhere in the library to get together to work on group projects.
5. True, group project work is common these days.
6. So instead of buying these new units, they should use the money to bulid meeting rooms.
7. And that will reduce any noise in the main library areas.
8. Yeah, that's what we could really use.
9. There is just not as much need to work in isolation.
10. Exactly, and the other thing is what's this about overcrowding?
11. Sure we have more students enrolled at the university this year, but do we really have a problem with overcrowding?
12. I don't think so.
13. I always get a whole table to myself.
14. Right, I see empty tables there all the time.
15. It'll just be a waste of money to replace what we have since what we have now is sufficient for the amount of students that use the library.
- Talk about a famous person that you admire. Explain why you respect this person. (40)
- Some people think that materials printed on paper, such as books and newspapers, will one day be replaced by electronic versions of those materials. Others believe that printed materials will always be popular. Which point of view do you agree with? Expla (60)
- Talk about a country or culture that you would like to learn more about. What is the country or culture and why would you like to learn more about it? (50)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Private car should not be allowed in the city centers of large cities. Use details and examples to explain your opinion. (50)
- Your university plans to open a cafe inside the campus library. Do you think this is a good idea? Explain why or why not. (50)
- A friend of yours wants to go to university next year but cannot decide on a major field of study. What advice would you give your friend to help make this decision? (50)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Children should receive money for doing household tasks such as cleaning. Use specific examples and details to support your opinion. (50)
- Students often like to study with others in a group. What do you think are the benefits of group study? Give at least one benefit. Explain your reasons. (50)
- Some university students choose to take difficult classes even if they know they might not get a good grade in the class. Other students prefer to take easier classes in which they know they will get a good grade. Which do you prefer? Explain why. (90)
- Parents need to make sure their children lead healthy lives. What can parents do to help their children have healthy lifestyles? (66)