TPO 19 - Question 6

Speaking topics in text

TPO 19 - Question 6

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

In the lecture, the professor illustrates 2 special adaptions that helps seabirds to find food. The first example is the albatross. It needs to fly a long distance in the ocean to search for food, and carry it back to their nest, so it has developed a long, perfectly hold, wings, which facilitates them to glide and flow in the wind without swinging up and down. It is also very energy saving.The second example is the fulmar, it has a highly developed sense of smell, with tubes inside the nose holes. So when they cannot see the food, they can locate their location by simply following their scent. This also enables them to find food in the wide sea.

1. Today, I want to talk about sea birds.
2. Now sea birds hunt and eat fish and well, their food can be hard to find because their food sources spread out over a large expanse of water.
3. So what sea birds have done is that over time they've mad e adaptation.
4. They've developed special characteristics that help them find food.
5. One adaptation involves the length of the birds' wings.
6. The albatross, for example, is a large sea bird that spends most its life flying over ocean water in search of food- fish to feed itself and to carry back to the nest to feed its chicks.
7. Now most birds flap their wings up and down when they fly, which sues up a lot of energy.
8. But the albatross has these special long wings that it can hold perfectly still.
9. It's able to fly without moving its wings up and down.
10. These long wings allow it to glide or float on the wind and this uses very little energy.
11. This is important because as I said, the albatross has to cover a huge expanse of ocean to locate food, sometimes up to 11000 miles a day.
12. Because of its long wings, it can glide along over the ocean using little energy as it searches for food.
13. Another important adaptation of many sea birds is an acute highly developed sense of smell.
14. Take the fulmar, like the albatross, the fulmar needs to find food that's scattered far out over the ocean.
15. But the fulmar has a rather unusual advantage.
16. It has tiny tubes inside the nose holes in its beak and these special tube-shaped nostrils help it to pick up the scent of food.
17. Now this highly developed sense of smell is especially important because the fulmar's main sources of food, plankton, are tiny organisms that are hard to see.
18. But they give off a very sharp distinctive odor.
19. So when fulmars are flying around looking for food, they may not be able to see them but they can find the plankton by smelling them, even from far away.