Distance Learning Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 04/22/2013 - 14:00

Distance Learning Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth CountriesCourse: Approved Online Courses
Level: Graduate (Masters)
Provider: CSC, DFID, UK Universities
For Which Country: Any country

Scholarship Description: The Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships offer the opportunity to study for a UK Master’s degree while living and working in your home country.

Established in 2002, the scholarship scheme is part of the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) and UK Department for International Development (DFID) commitment to exploring new methods of scholarship delivery.

Rather than offering these scholarships directly to students, the CSC works with UK universities to identify appropriate courses and recruit candidates. To date, it has funded courses at over 20 UK institutions, awarding over 1,000 scholarships to students from across the developing Commonwealth.

Eligibility: You must meet the specific eligibility requirements of the course you are interested in.

To be eligible for a Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship, candidates should:

Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships may not be held concurrently for more than one course.

Eligible groups: Nationals of Commonwealth Developing Countries:

* Awards offered to build the capacity of civil society organisations

Participating Institution(s): All recognized UK Universities (see list in ‘Fields of study’)

Fields of study: Several approved Masters Courses are offered at participating schools.

Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships are being offered in 2013 for the following Master’s courses. Full details of these courses and the application process must be obtained from the relevant institution:

You may want to see the list of previous supported courses.

Number of awards: Not specified by provider. To date, more than 1,000 Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships have been awarded.

Sponsorship duration: Complete duration of the program

Scholarship benefits: Covers overseas tuition fees at Master’s degree-level for citizens of a developing Commonwealth country

Method of Application: Full details of the application process must be obtained from the relevant institution.

The CSC expects all candidates being considered for a Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarship to have completed an application form using the Electronic Application System (EAS). Full help on how to apply using the EAS is provided in the CSC guides, which should be read in full before making any attempt to use the EAS.

DEADLINES: The deadline date for applications is 23:59 GMT on 17 May 2013.

Please Note: The selection committee will consider all eligible Expressions of Interest at a meeting in November. The committee will also then decide on the number of scholarships to be allocated to each course. 

Additional requirements: The CSC may require candidates to undertake the academic IELTS English language test as a condition of eligibility. Candidates should check with the UK institution/provider whether this requirement applies to them.

It is the candidate’s responsibility to note that an IELTS test will only be considered valid if taken after 1 October 2012 for those candidates wishing to start their studies from September 2013 onwards. Candidates will be asked to provide evidence that they have achieved a minimum overall score of 6.5 on the IELTS scale.

Application Deadline: 23:59 GMT 17 May 2013.

Open to International students: Yes

Article references
scholarshipslisting.com