1 Boston Bombing Suspect Dead, Police Search for Other

April 19,2013

Police in the northeastern U.S. state of Massachusetts are conducting a massive manhunt for one of the suspects in Monday's Boston Marathon bombings, after killing the other one in a shootout

late Thursday.

Authorities say the "white hat" suspect from the marathon bombings, known as Suspect 2, is on the loose and is "armed and dangerous." Police are warning residents of Watertown, about eight kilometers from Boston, to stay inside their homes and refrain from answering the door to anyone but a police officer. Police are going door-to-door in their search for the fugitive.

Chechen origin

US media are reporting the suspects are brothers of Chechen origin. The Associated Press says they are from a Russian region near Chechnya. The New York Times reports that authorities believe both suspects were Chechen.

U.S. media say the brothers were living legally in the United States, and that the suspect still at large is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19.

Officials say Suspect One, pictured in FBI photos in a black baseball cap, was fatally wounded in a gunfight with police late Thursday and died after being taken to the hospital. The suspects threw explosives at police as they tried to escape.

VOA reporter Carolyn Presutti, who was near the scene, described the police operation as extensive.

Authorities at Beth Israel Hospital say Suspect One arrived at the hospital in cardiac arrest, with multiple gunshot wounds and signs of shrapnel injuries that could have come from an explosive blast.

On lockdown

Local public transportation has been suspended, all schools and universities are closed, some businesses are suspending operations, and police are asking people in some parts of Boston and its western suburbs to stay home Friday. Vehicles are not being allowed in or out of Watertown. Buses are evacuating area residents.

Officials say the two men accused in Monday's marathon bombings are also suspected of fatally shooting a campus police officer at Massachusetts Institute of Technology late Thursday before stealing a car and fleeing to Watertown. Authorities say the suspects threw explosives from the car as police pursued them.

Officials say Suspect 1, pictured in FBI photos in a black baseball cap, was fatally wounded in a shootout with police and died after being taken to the hospital. Authorities at Beth Israel Hospital say the suspect arrived in cardiac arrest, with multiple gunshot wounds and signs of shrapnel injuries that could have come from an explosive blast.

FBI releases photos, video

On Thursday, the FBI released photographs and videotape of the two suspects taken Monday around the time of the Boston Marathon bombing. They labeled the suspect in a black baseball cap "Suspect 1" and the suspect in a white baseball cap turned backwards, "Suspect 2." A subsequent photo of Suspect 2, taken Thursday at a convenience store, shows him in a gray hooded sweatshirt.

Monday's twin bombings near the finish of the Boston Marathon killed three people, including an 8-year-old boy and a Chinese-born graduate student. More than 170 people were injured. Some of them lost their legs.

Photo Gallery: Manhunt for Suspect

• Heavily armed police continue to patrol the neighborhoods of Watertown, Mass. April 19, 2013

• Police patrol through a neighborhood in Watertown, Mass., while searching for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, April 19, 2013

• A man looks out of his door as a SWAT team member knocks on his neighbors door as they search for the remaining suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings in Watertown, Massachusetts April 19, 2013.

• A barefooted woman runs for cover as police surround a home while searching for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings in Watertown, Mass., April 19, 2013.

• A suspect wanted for questioning in relation to the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing is seen in handout photo released through the Boston Police Department Twitter page, April 19, 2013.

• Police walk down School and Walnut Street on April 19, 2013 in Watertown, Massachusetts.

• A woman looks out a window at her home as police start to search an apartment building while looking for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings in Watertown, Mass., April 19, 2013.

• Images released by Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) shows "Suspect 2" (L-white cap) and "Suspect 1" (R-black cap) in the crowd before the blast at the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013.

• Police on School and Walnut Street as the search continues for a suspect on April 19, 2013 in Watertown, Massachusetts.

• Residents view police in tactical gear conduct a search for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, April 19, 2013, in Watertown, Mass.

• Ruslan Tsarni, the uncle of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, walks into his home in Montgomery Village in Md. Friday, April, 19, 2013.

• A Montgomery County, Md. police officer pushes the media back from in front of the house of the uncle of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, Friday, April 19, 2013, in Montgomery Village in Md. The uncle, Ruslan Tsarni of Montgomery Village, Md., told T

• Police officers keep a man on the ground in Watertown, Massachusetts April 19, 2013 following the shooting of a police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

• Police with guns drawn search for a suspect on April 19, 2013 in Watertown, Massachusetts.

?

?

/**/

.