Bush to Inspect Damage in Flooded Iowa

17 June 2008

U.S. President George Bush will visit the Midwest state of IowaThursday to inspect damage from major flooding along the MississippiRiver. VOA White House Correspondent Scott Stearns reports, Mr. Bushsays he will work with Congress to replenish funds used to help thoseaffected by natural disaster.

Federal officials briefed thepresident on efforts to shore-up levees along the Mississippi River andhelp those displaced by the flooding. Crews along the river have beenworking feverishly stacking sandbags to keep the water from spillingout into low lying areas.

Speaking to reporters after thatbriefing, Mr. Bush said there has been close coordination betweenfederal and state authorities.

"We're in constant contact withpeople on the ground to help make sure that we save lives," he said."Now that the water is beginning to recede, the question is how do wehelp with the recovery?"

The U.S. Department of Agriculture isstill assessing the economic impact of the flooding. President Bushsays he understands many people are upset about loosing their homes andbusinesses.

"We are worried about farmers and ranchers. Thecountry that is being affected by these floods has got a lot of farmcountry, a lot people raising livestock," he said.  

Officialsare reinforcing levees in Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri to preventfurther damage from river water that has already closed bridges anddestroyed homes.

President Bush said there is enough money in afederal emergency fund to pay for the clean-up and help those affectedby the flooding. He will work with lawmakers to ensure those funds arereplaced ahead of another natural disaster.

"Congress doesn'tneed to worry about working with the White House on this because wethink the supplemental is the way to go," he said. "What they do needto worry about is making sure there is enough but not too much money inthe fund so that we can say we've done our job."

The president will visit Iowa Thursday to meet with some of those affected by the flooding.