Bush Makes Renewed Push for Colombia Free Trade Agreement

22 July 2008

U.S. President George Bush is making a renewed push for Congressionalapproval of a pending free trade agreement with Colombia. VOA's PaulaWolfson reports he is urging Speaker Nancy Pelosi to allow a vote inthe House of Representatives.

At a White House event showcasingties between the Colombian and American people, President Bush made oneof his strongest appeals to date for passage of the free trade dealwith Colombia.

"To demonstrate America's good faith, to stand byour strong friend, to send a clear signal that we appreciate our ally,the United States Congress must approve this free trade agreement," hesaid.

Mr. Bush said it will open up a major duty-free market toAmerican goods, noting that exports remain one of the bright spots inthe uncertain U.S. economy.

But he made clear that nationalsecurity reasons are equally if not more important.  He said underPresident Alvaro Uribe, Colombia is fighting drugs, crime and terror."President Uribe has stood strong against tyranny and terror. He hasdone everything he has asked and more. He has told members of Congressthat approving this agreement is the most important step that Americacan take to show its support for Colombia," he said.

Mr. Bushmade specific mention of the recent rescue by the Colombian military ofhostages that had been held for years by members of the leftist rebelgroup known as the FARC, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia,which the United States considers to be a terrorist organization. Henoted that on Sunday, more than a million Colombians marched in thenation's streets to denounce the FARC and demand the release ofremaining captives.

"They chanted a simple but powerful message: Libertad! That means freedom," Mr. Bush said.

DemocraticParty leaders in the House have put off formal consideration of thefree trade agreement because of concerns about the Colombiangovernment's human rights record.

But the White House contendsconditions have significantly improved, that the Colombian justicesystem has been reformed and attacks on labor unionists havesignificantly declined.

The president has also called onCongress to schedule votes on pending free trade pacts with Panama andSouth Korea. But he has spoken out more frequently on the deal withColombia, indicating winning approval for this agreement is a highpriority for the final months of his administration.