Calls for Cooperation in China

Nov 20, 2017

Cooperation, responsibility and respect were recurrent themes of President Donald Trump's recent visit to China.

In conversations between Mr. Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping -- and in his public remarks -- President Trump emphasized the two countries' common goals and interests.

On the matter of trade, President Trump said that both the United States and China will have a more prosperous future when they have a truly vibrant trade relationship. That relationship must, however, be fair and reciprocal and take place on a level economic playing field. Concrete steps must be made to correct the enormous U.S. trade imbalance with China. Those steps include addressing China's market access restriction and technology transfer requirements, which prevent American companies from being able to fairly compete within China. They require, as well, respect for intellectual property rights on the part of China and Chinese companies.

President Trump said the United States also continues to advocate for reforms that advance economic freedom, individual rights, and the rule of law.

But prosperity cannot take place without security. President Trump emphasized the need for security cooperation between China and the United States to address a range of threats, including terrorism and the lethal flow of poisonous drugs. But chief among the threats is the nuclear menace of North Korea. President Trump said that both he and President Xi acknowledged the need for the complete denuclearization of North Korea and the necessity of increasing economic pressure until the regime of Kim Jong-un abandons its reckless and dangerous path. “We must act fast,” President Trump said. “And hopefully China will act faster and more effectively on this problem than anyone.”

President Trump declared that “the United States, working with China and other regional partners, has an incredible opportunity to advance the cause of peace, security, and prosperity all across the world.” Addressing President Xi, Mr. Trump said, “A great responsibility has been placed on our shoulders...and I hope we can rise to the occasion and help our countries and our citizens reach their highest destinies and their fullest potentials.”