Canada Concludes Vancouver Olympics With Thrilling Ice Hockey Win Over US

28 February 2010

Canada's men's ice hockey team beat the United States, 3-2, to win the gold medal in the Olympic tournament in Vancouver, British Columbia, Sunday.  An overtime goal from Canada's Sidney Crosby capped the Olympic Games for the home team.

The cheering fans and signs outside the Canada Hockey Place say it all - "Hockey is Canada's Game."

Canada took a 1-0 lead over the United States when Jonathan Toews scooped up a shot that bounced off American goalie Ryan Miller and fired the puck into the net.  The Canadians took a 2-0 lead when Corey Perry took another ricochet off Miller and punched it past the U.S. goalkeeper.

The USA got its first goal when Ryan Kesler deflected Patrick Kane's shot past Canadian goalie Roberto Luongo.  The United States trailed through most of the third period and pulled Miller to add an extra attacker.  The strategy worked when Zach Parise fired the puck past Luongo with just 25 seconds left in regulation play.

The overtime period was back and forth until Canadian Sidney Crosby picked up a pass from teammate Jarome Iginla and blasted the puck into the U.S. net.  The goal set off thunderous applause from Canadian fans. Crosby said after the game that winning in front of home fans was amazing.

"It feels pretty incredible," he said. "To do it here in Canada, you know it doesn't get any better than that."

The hockey win gave Canada the most gold medals of the games - and any modern Winter Games - 14.

The U.S. men's silver was the 37th medal for Team USA during these games -- the most medals of any nation competing.  American voach Ron Wilson says the game could have gone either way.

"Sometimes the best team in the tournament doesn't win the gold medal," he said.  "I thought our team played as well as any team I have ever coached."

Germany finished second with 30 medals and Canada was third with 26.

After the game, the streets of Vancouver filled with boisterous fans shouting, jamming downtown and blowing car horns.  

Virtually everywhere there are Canadian flags and people wearing Canadian team apparel.  Men and women shouting and clapping, some have their faces painted with the Canadian flag, and many have stickers with the word "Canada" or the national flag on their faces - as celebrate into the night.