Country Newcomer Cassadee Pope Settles into Music Career

December 02,2013

Last year, Florida native Cassadee Pope became the first female winner of “The Voice.” The former rock singer has settled in to her new career in Country music.

“Wasting All These Tears” is the debut single from Pope’s first solo album, “Frame By Frame.” The track made a Top 10 debut on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart and opened at Number One on iTunes’ Country list.
“Frame By Frame’s” Number One entry on the Country Albums chart makes her only the second newcomer to debut in the top spot this year. Kacey Musgraves also accomplished that feat with “Same Trailer Different Park.”

Before launching her solo career, Pope spent five years singing lead vocals in the rock band Hey Monday. Although she’s enjoying her work as a solo artist, she admits there are times she misses her former bandmates.

“Being in Hey Monday as opposed to being solo has its differences, but for the most part, it’s very similar," she said. "I am still creating music with other people. I’m collaborating with songwriters and producers. It’s not my band, but they are still human beings that I’m collaborating with. I’ve created really, really great chemistry with my band right now. They’re not ‘in the band’ per se, and we’re not writing together and all of that, but we are creating a sound, my live show together. So, there’s a really great vibe with them on stage, even now. But I do miss the guys every once in a while.”

Pope switched musical direction from rock to Country after appearing on the third season of “The Voice.” The 24-year-old singer was coached on the reality show by Country superstar Blake Shelton. For her final performance on “The Voice,” Pope sang “Over You,” a 2012 Number One Country duet for Shelton and his wife Miranda Lambert.

Pope says she has always been a fan of Country music and is grateful that the Nashville community has welcomed her. She says a highlight was having the opportunity to open shows on Rascal Flatts’ North American “Live and Loud Tour.”

“Touring with Rascal Flatts has been such an eye opener. I mean, they have always been this unit and they’ve always had such a unique sound and they’ve stuck to it all these years," she said. "It makes me feel like, as long as I stick to me, and I do my thing, I will eventually get there. They’re such an inspiring group to watch every night. They’re so, so talented. They’re the nicest guys in the entire world. They walk around backstage and interact with us, so that’s all I can ask. As long as they are nice to me and they took me out, that’s all I could ask for.”

Pope involved her fans in the making of “Frame By Frame” by letting them choose the cover.

In conjunction with its recent release, Country Music Television launched a six-episode documentary series that followed Pope’s rise to fame.