Egypt Embarks On Do-Over; Officials Promise Fairness

July 04,2013

Egypt has a new interim leader and a roadmap designed by the military to unite the country after the ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi. Officials say the goal is to make good on the promises of the uprising that forced former, long-time leader Hosni Mubarak from power two years ago.

More celebrations in Cairo's Tahrir Square, those who wanted Mohamed Morsi removed from power expressing relief and gratitude.

"I feel safety and peace. My country has come back to me. My country, which was kidnapped away from me, Egypt, has come back to us. Thank God," said one of Morsi's opponents.

Political analyst Osama al-Ghazali says many in Egypt are ready for a fresh start.

"I think after Morsi the whole Egyptian nation is now ready to rebuild its political system according to the principles which was raised by the revolution of January 2011. The Egyptians are now anxious to have a truly democratic system according to the international criteria which we all agree," said al-Ghazali.

Already, Supreme Court chief justice Adly Mansour has been sworn-in as interim president. But there is still much to do. The military's roadmap calls for a review of the now-suspended constitution, fresh elections and reconciliation.

With former President Mohamed Morsi detained, and key Muslim Brotherhood leaders under arrest, suspicion remains high.

"They start their era by closing down five Islamic channels. Right now we do not have any means to express our opinion. Our protest is not properly covered by the media," said a pro-Morsi protester.

Newly reinstated Prosecutor General Abdel Meguid Mahmoud is promising fairness.

''We will take measures that are nothing but legitimate and constitutional and within the right legal procedures. We will not gloat and we will not settle scores with anyone or seek revenge from anyone. We will declare the law the sovereign," said Mahmoud.

As many in Egypt continue to celebrate, others are starting to come to terms with what has transpired. All the while, members of the military keep a watchful eye while promising to keep the peace.