Emoji Options for Couples of Color

17 March, 2019

In 1967, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the banning of interracial marriage violated the Constitution.

The court decision against the state of Virginia helped lead American society to an acceptance of racially-mixed couples.

Now, mixed relationships have been recognized in emoji form. The non-profit group Unicode Consortium has approved 71 new emoji representing these unions. A technology activist group, Emojination, and the dating app Tinder had called for the action.

Until now, emoji of two or more people have been available only in yellow.

The Unicode Consortium is made up of Google, Microsoft, Apple, Huawei and other international tech companies. Jennifer 8. Lee is a cofounder of Emojination and is on the emoji subcommittee of Unicode.

"Unicode is taking user demand for more skin tones across emoji very seriously," said Lee. "Users around the world (are) demanding to see themselves...on the emoji keyboard."

Jenny Campbell is the chief marketing officer for Tinder. She thinks many technology companies will include the new emoji in their products.

Last year, Tinder carried out an online petition in support of the new characters. Fifty-thousand people signed on.

Cambell said, "...we wanted to get the interracial emoji couple on people's keyboards not only for equality, but also to spread acceptance for all couples no matter what their race."

Emoji of single people of color and of same-sex couples were added in the last several years.

I'm Susan Shand.

The Associated Press reported this story. Susan Shand adapted this story for VOA Learning English. George Grow was the editor.

Write to us in the Comments Section or on testbig.com.

_______________________________________________________________

emoji – n. a small digital image or icon used to express an idea, emotion,

tone – n. a shade of color

keyboard – n. the set of keys that are used for a computer or typewriter

petition – n. a written document that people sign to show that they want a person or organization to do or change something