Ghana's VP Says Government Will Bolster Democratic Institutions

22 November 2009

Ghana’s vice president says the administration of President John Atta Mills is strengthening institutions to bolster the country’s fledgling democracy.

John Dramani Mahama also paid tribute to those who drafted the country’s constitution which stipulates, among others, the freedom of speech, religion and association.

“We must pay a lot of appreciation and gratitude to the group of people who drafted the 1992 constitution because it is that document that anchors the freedoms and rights of the human being and then the other democratic guarantees that we are enjoying currently,” he said.

He praised Ghanaians for upholding and defending their rights as enshrined in the constitution.

Mahama said the constitution allows checks and balances for citizens to know what their government is doing.

“We have civil society organizations, we have traditional rulers, we have religious organizations who know the constitution inside out and would always make sure that the government is put correct if it is going astray,” Mahama said.
Ghana has enjoyed relative peace after re-embracing democracy in the 1992 democratic elections that ended former President Jerry John Rawlings’ military government rule.

Mahama said Ghana has independent institutions that guarantee the rule of law.
“The constitution indicates a number of organizations that are guarantees for our democratic governance. These are the National Electoral Commission that is supposed to superintendent free and fair elections, and is probably one of the most important ones…we have the judiciary, we have the parliament and these are…independent bodies,” Mahama said.

Vice President Mahama said President John Atta-Mills’ government has pledged transparency.

“You need a leadership that has a vision and that is based on transparency and accountability. And President John Atta-Mills as president of Ghana is a person who is a strong anti-corruption crusader and will not hesitate to apply sanctions if any of his ministers or other public officers goes astray, “he said.
Vice President Mahama said the administration of President John Atta Mills will keep its promises to Ghanaians.