Jane Monheit Delivers Jazz Standards From the Heart on 'Home'

29 September 2010

Jazz vocalist Jane Monheit celebrates her 10th anniversary as a recording artist with an album she describes as being "from the heart." Her new collection of jazz standards, is titled Home.

Jane Monheit has always had a song in her heart. Jane says she's been singing ever since she learned how to talk. Now, one of today's most admired interpreters of the Great American Songbook, Jane pays tribute to some of the top composers of the 20th century, including Jerome Kern on "Look For The Silver Lining."

Jane began singing professionally during high school in her native New York. She was a student at the Manhattan School of Music when she earned second place at the Thelonious Monk International Jazz Vocal Competition. Signed to her first major recording label at age 21, Jane released Never Never Land, a 10-song collection of ballads and swing that held a spot on the jazz chart for more than a year.

Jane delivers another round of classic ballads on her new album, from Mack Gordon and Harry Warren's "This Is Always," to Alec Wilder's "I'll Be Around."

She also sings the music of Rodgers and Hart, Duke Ellington, Harold Arlen and Irving Berlin.

Jane explains that the title of the album suggests going back to her musical roots. "There's nothing like singing a jazz standard," she says, "giving it new life through one's own interpretation, and bringing it to a new audience in a whole different light."

In support of Home, Jane recently launched a North American tour that will continue through May 2011.