London Commemorates World Refugee Day

19 June 2008

On World Refugee Day Friday, as the world commemorates the plight of11 million people who have fled their homes, the U.N. refugee agencyhas created a refugee village in the heart of London. The aim is tohighlight the plight of one refugee group - the millions who have fledthe violence of the Darfur region of Sudan. VOA's Mandy Clark reportsfrom London.

Standing in the ruins of smoldering home, a Darfuriwomen begs for help. It is not what you would expect to see in centralLondon's Trafalgar Square, but this the "Darfur experience" refugeecamp. Set up by the U.N. refugee agency to show the challenges aidagencies face in delivering aid to some of the world's most vulnerablepeople.

"We really want to create awareness, actually show thereality in which refugees live," said Alienor Salmon, a volunteer forthe agency.  

The reality is bleak - plastic tents, a fewblankets, basic food provided by the World Food Program. And thenthere is the constant threat of rebels attacking the camps.

Halfof the villages in Darfur have been destroyed, two thirds of thepopulation is reliant on some form of humanitarian aid, and more than2.5 million people had been displaced by the conflict. Fightinginvolving rebels, government troops, and government-backed militiasbroke out in 2003.

British opposition lawmaker, AndrewMitchell, says that blame for the on-going crisis in Darfur lies withworld leaders who promised to put a stop the bloodshed.

"Darfurstands as a condemnation to the leaders of the world who signed up tothis responsibility to protect, which means nothing to these people whoare frightened and anxious living in camps having been bombed andbullied out of their homes in Darfur, the world is not doing enoughabout it," he said.

Many visitors said they found the mock village compelling.  

"It is a good thing for all the people to know what is happening in the world," said a visitor.

"I think it is a wonderful display and a very important one for getting help for Darfur," said another one.

"It is nice to actually walk through the camps and see the food parcels and actually talk to people to find out information," another visitor added.

TheU.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, Antonio Guterres, was on hand tolaunch the UNHCR's Global report just days earlier. He says the numberof people fleeing violence and conflict last year has risen to 11.4million worldwide.

"When one looks at today's world, one seesnot only conflicts multiplying and conflicts intensifying andgenerating more and more people on the move," said Guterres. "And I canonly ask the international community to be more and more involvedtogether, acting together to make sure that these conflicts find anend."  

Some Darfur refugees came to the event in centralLondon. They say it highlights the need for the violence to end intheir homeland.

Fatima Yalia says the mock village brought back memories

"Ihave goosebumps, it makes me feel awful inside, but the world has tosee it," she said. "Darfur has suffered 12 years of war, it has toend."

The U.N. refugee agency says it is the internationalcommunity's responsibility to humanity to help those in greatest need,the next generation depends on them.