Mars Candy Bars Recalled in 55 Countries in Europe

25 February, 2016

A U.S.-based candy maker recalled some of its candy bars produced in Europe after plastic was found inside them.

The Mars candy company started the recall voluntarily Tuesday of candy made in the Netherlands.

A small piece of red-colored plastic was found inside a Snickers candy bar purchased in Germany, according to a Mars press release. The recall includes Snickers, Mars, Milky Way and Celebrations candies.

The candy was made at the Netherlands facility from December 5, 2015 through January 18, 2016.

In a press release, Mars called the manufacturing mistake "an isolated incident." The company could not estimate how much candy were removed from store shelves.

Mars said only candies made in "Mars Netherlands" are affected by the recall. Consumers should look at the label on the candy to be sure.

The recall affects 55 countries, said a spokesman for the candy company to the Associated Press. Mars Netherlands exports to many countries in Europe. The AP confirmed that Germany is one of the countries where the candy was recalled.

Mars is one of the largest candy makers in the world. It owns and produces the brands M&M and Dove chocolate. Mars also owns the world's largest chewing gum maker, William Wrigley Jr. Company.

The candy maker's headquarters is in the Washington, D.C. area.

I'm Jim Dresbach.

VOANews.com reported on this story. Jim Dresbach adapted the report for Learning English. Kathleen Struck was the editor.

We want to hear from you. Write to us in the Comments Section or visit our testbig.com.

________________________________________________________________

candyn. a sweet food made with sugar or chocolate

recalln. a request by a company for people to return a product that has a defect or problem

press releasen. an official statement that gives information to newspapers, magazines, television news programs and radio stations

brandn. a category of products that are all made by a particular company and all have a particular name

chewing gumn. a type of soft candy that you chew on but do not swallow