Michelle Obama Appears on 'Carpool Karaoke'

21 July, 2016

This is What's Trending Today...

British comedian James Corden is the host of "The Late Late Show." A regular feature on his show is "Carpool Karaoke." It shows Corden and a famous person driving around in a car talking and singing along to songs on the radio.

Usually, Corden and his celebrity guest are driving around in Los Angeles, where his show is filmed. Many of Corden's past guests have been famous singers themselves, including Stevie Wonder, Justin Bieber, and Adele.

But, this week, Corden "Carpool Karaoke" headed east to Washington, DC. His guest was not a famous singer. But, she sure can carry a tune.

This week's guest was First Lady Michelle Obama.

The 15-minute video shows Corden and the First Lady driving around the White House grounds. They sing some of Obama's favorite songs, including Stevie Wonder's "Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours" and Beyonce's "Single Ladies."

The first lady also talked about her recently launched Snapchat account (MichelleObama). She said she joined Snapchat ahead of her travels to Liberia, Morocco and Spain.

The trip was part of the Let Girls Learn program.

"Right now there's 62 million girls worldwide that aren't in school..." Obama said. "So much could be corrected in the world if girls were educated and had power over their lives."

The first lady and Corden then sang "This is For My Girls." Obama released the single earlier this year. She released the song to raise money for the Let Girls Learn program. It features singers Kelly Clarkson, Zendaya and Janelle Monae, among others.

It also features rapper Missy Elliott, who joined Obama and Corden in the car at the end of the "Carpool Karaoke" episode.

The segment aired Wednesday evening in the United States, but days before, Michelle Obama's appearance on "Carpool Karaoke" was a trending topic on social media.

And, after the episode aired, people could not stop talking about it. "Carpool Karaoke" trended Thursday on Google, Twitter and Facebook.

One Twitter user wrote: "Michelle Obama's carpool karaoke was the best 14 minutes of my July."

And that's What's Trending Today.

I'm Dan Friedell

_______________________________________________________________

feature - n. a special part or section in a show, newspaper, or magazine

carry a tune - expression. to be able to sing the correct musical sounds of a song or songs

air - v. to broadcast something on radio or television