NASA Links Students to Astronauts

March 05,2014

Some California students got a rare chance to speak with astronauts in space through a recent video link as part of an effort by the U.S. space agency NASA to excite young people about science.

Hundreds of college and high school students jammed the auditorium at California State University, Los Angeles for the NASA video link with the International Space Station.

At the other end of the link, three astronauts were nearly 400 kilometers above earth.

The students heard about the career paths that led Americans Rick Mastracchio and Mike Hopkins and Japan's Koichi Wakata into space.

“How did you overcome your greatest obstacle on your road to becoming an astronaut" one student asked.

“I went and got a masters degree, got a job as an engineer and eventually applied as an astronaut. So I think my interest in space and science, and my abilities in mathematics, had a direct relationship on how I ended up here,” said Mastracchio.

Students got answers to questions that ranged from space station hygiene to how astronauts dampen vibrations from equipment, as the three men described their daily lives and work.

For engineering student Jeremy Blaire, how astronauts behaved toward one another was revealing.

“To me, it looked like they were all friends. Every time they laughed and they looked back at each other. They laughed with each other about the jokes. I never really thought about how harmonious the crew was up there,” said Blaire.

Student Virginia Mejia said she learned something about perseverance.

“Never stop dreaming. Never, because even they said, I applied four times, nine times, in a period of nine years, 12 years. Wow, they never gave up,” said Mejia.

NASA educator Becky Kamas said one question comes up with every video link at schools around the country.

“They always ask questions about what does it take to become you And I think the answer is, it takes passion and dedication. And every single one of these students is capable of that,” said Kamas.

Eleven graduates of the California state university system have gone on to become NASA astronauts. These students hope this campus will send the 12th.