North Korean Volcano Waiting to Blow

18 April, 2016

A volcano in North Korea is at risk of erupting, according to scientists.

Scientists say Mount Paektu, on the border of North Korea and China, had one of the largest eruptions in history. That eruption took place around the year 946.

In 2013, researchers placed seismometers on Mount Paektu. These meters measured seismic waves beneath the volcano. Seismic waves are waves in the earth produced by an earthquake.

The volcano had been quiet until 2002. Then earthquakes started until 2005. Now, scientists have discovered soft and melted rock beneath Mount Paektu. They say magma is rising to the surface, and that proves the volcano is active.

The U.S. State Geological Service defines an active volcano as any volcano that has had at least one eruption during the past 10,000 years.

Mount Paektu is the tallest mountain in North Korea. Its elevation is close to 2,700 meters.

The information from the study was published in Science Advances journal.

I'm Jim Dresbach.

Jim Dresbach adapted this story for Learning English and VOANews.com. Kathleen Struck was the editor.

We want to hear from you. Write to us in the Comments Section or visit our testbig.com.

________________________________________________________________

eruptv. to send out rocks, ash and lava in a sudden explosion

seismometern. an instrument that measures and records details of earthquakes, such as force and duration.

seismic wavesn. elastic waves in the earth produced by an earthquake

magman. hot liquid rock below the surface of the Earth