Obama Addresses Horrific Outburst Of Violence At Fort Hood

05 November 2009

U.S. President Barack Obama is calling a mass shooting at an Army base in Texas a horrific outburst of violence. The president says his thoughts are with the wounded and the families of the fallen.

President Obama says he is horrified by the shootings at Fort Hood.

"A number of American soldiers have been killed and even more have been wounded in a horrific outburst of violence," said President Obama.

A short time after the rampage took place, Mr. Obama said he did not know all the details of the incident, but was thinking of all those affected.

"My immediate thoughts and prayers are with the wounded and with the families of the fallen, and with those who live and serve at Fort Hood," said Mr. Obama.

The president said the fact that the violence occurred in U.S. territory makes it even more tragic.

"It is difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas," said the president. "It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."

Mr. Obama said he had spoken with Defense Secretary Robert Gates and with the Chairman of the military Joint Chiefs of Staff, Navy Admiral Michael Mullen. He said he would continue to receive a constant stream of updates as new information comes in, and would work with authorities to investigate fully.

"We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident," said President Obama.

Officials say a soldier opened fire at the base Thursday afternoon. Authorities killed the gunman, and apprehended two other soldiers suspected in the attack.

An Army spokesman says all the casualties took place at the base's Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening.