Pakistan Victims Call for Help from Rubble Using Mobile Phones

05 November, 2015

Workers at a collapsed Pakistani factory begged for rescue and called for help on mobile phones Thursday.

One of the trapped workers told a Pakistani television station the roof collapsed. Many workers were trapped in the basement, while others shouted for help through the fallen brick. Some used mobile phones to contact family and friends.

The collapse killed at least 20 people, and 80 were hurt.

Rescue officials said they believe 150 people were inside the multi-level factory. The top floor of the factory was under construction.

It was difficult to determine who was inside because factory supervisors were among those trapped.

The cause of the collapse is unknown. Some Pakistani officials believe the earthquake two weeks ago weakened the structure.

Rescue and recovery machinery arrived for the rescue. Family members stood next to the machines and waited for trapped relatives to be found.

At least 24 people were killed in September 2014 when a mosque collapsed. A factory collapsed in February 2012 that killed 17 people, including children.

I'm Anna Matteo.

Jim Dresbach adapted this story for Learning English VOA News. Kathleen Struck was the editor.

We want to hear from you. Write to us in the Comments section and visit us at our Facebook Page.

________________________________________________________________

mobile – adj. able to be moved, in this case, a phone not connected by wires that is held by hand

basement – n. the part of a building that is entirely or partly below the ground

mosque – n. a place of religious worship by Muslims