President Bush Promotes Faith-Based Charity Work in US, Africa

28 June 2008

U.S. President George W. Bush says religious-based charities have madea "remarkable" difference in the lives of needy people in the UnitedStates and Africa during his presidency. VOA's Kent Klein reports fromWashington.

President Bush used his weekly radio address Saturday to promote his administration's partnership with faith-based groups.

Thepresident said that in the United States, religious charities havehelped reduce homelessness, matched children of prisoners with adultmentors, and helped thousands of former prisoners to find jobs.

Mr.Bush says American faith-based charities have also been very helpfuloutside the United States, especially in fighting malaria in Africa.

"Injust over two years, this effort has reached more than 25 millionpeople," he said. "And according to new data, malaria rates aredropping dramatically in many parts of that continent."

Mr. Bush says the charity groups have also provided vital support for his effort to fight AIDS in Africa.

"Whenwe launched this program in 2003, about 50,000 people in sub-SaharanAfrica were receiving anti-retroviral treatment for HIV/ AIDS. Today,that number is nearly 1.7 million," he added.

When he becamePresident, Mr. Bush lifted previous restrictions that blockedfaith-based charities from receiving government help.

TheDemocratic Party response to the president's radio talk addressed anentirely different issue: fuel prices and energy policy. New Mexicostate Governor and former U.S. energy secretary Bill Richardsonpromoted Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's ideas forincreasing U.S. energy independence and criticized those of Republicancandidate John McCain.