Raid on NATO Base Kills 9 US Troops in Eastern Afghanistan

14 July 2008

NATO officials say insurgents who carried out Sunday's deadly assaulton a remote NATO outpost in eastern Afghanistan were able to penetratethe base before they were driven away by U.S. air strikes. NineAmerican soldiers were killed in the assault. Fifteen other U.S.troops and four Afghan soldiers were wounded. From Islamabad, VOA'sBarry Newhouse has more on one of the single deadliest attacks for U.S.forces since the 2001 invasion.

The attack began early Sundayat a NATO outpost built just last week in Kunar, a province in easternAfghanistan that borders Pakistan.

NATO officials said a largegroup of insurgents had secretly moved into a nearby village, wherethey launched a complex assault that lasted for much of the day.

NATOspokesman Mark Laity told reporters in Kabul that while insurgentsregularly attack combat outposts, Sunday's assault was larger thannormal and insurgents managed to fight their way inside fortified walls.

"Theyattempted to break into that base. They did make some penetration. But over all they were repelled and they took very heavy casualtiesthemselves," Laity said. "And then we brought in air power tostabilize the situation in a fight that then lasted for several hours."

Itwas unclear how many insurgents were involved in the fighting, but theNATO spokesman said airstrikes inflicted heavy casualties after thefighters were repelled at the outpost.

It is also unclear where the insurgents came from or what group they belong to.

SeveralAfghan Taliban groups operate in the east of the country and U.S. andAfghan officials say Pakistani Taliban fighters also regularly attackNATO troops near the border. The fighting has led to a spike in NATOtroop deaths and criticism that Pakistan is not doing enough to crackdown on Taliban havens in its tribal regions.

Senior Pakistaniofficials counter that Afghan officials have been unwilling to workmore closely on controlling their shared 2500 kilometer border. Theyalso say Afghan and coalition forces can do more to stop militants fromcrossing into Pakistan.

The increased tension over militantsafe havens has led several Pakistani officials to express worry thatthe United States is considering unilateral military action againstfighters in the tribal regions. In recent days Pakistani officials fromacross the political spectrum have insisted foreign troops will not beallowed to operate in Pakistani territory.  

Senator MushahidHussain, the chairman of Pakistan's Senate Foreign Relations Committee,said resolving the situation should be done through dialogue - notforce.

"The use of force is counter productive. We must engagepeople in discussions and we welcome negotiations with those who arewilling to lay down their arms," he said.

Despite favoringtalks, senior Pakistani leaders say they are aware how serious thesituation in the tribal regions has become. On Monday, Prime MinisterYousuf Raza Gilani said he understands concerns that the tribal areascould be used by foreign militants to plan international terroristattacks.