Red Cross Issues Multi-Million Dollar Appeal For Cyclone Nargis Victims

10 July 2008

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies isappealing for $72.5 million to support a three-yearemergency and recovery program for victims of Cyclone Nargis in Burma. The Red Cross says hundreds of thousands of poor people who lived onthe edge before the cyclone struck are weaker and more vulnerable. Lisa Schlein reports for VOA from Red Cross headquarters in Geneva.

The cyclone, which struck Burma on May 2, was the worst to hit thecountry in 40 years.  An estimated 130,000 people were killed orreported missing. Nearly 2.5 million people, most in theIrawaddy Delta, are affected by the storm and in need of assistance.

TheInternational Red Cross says progress has been made in reaching peoplein need with critical emergency assistance. But, many challengesremain.  

Red Cross Spokesman, Zach Abraham tells VOA one of thechallenges is to refocus media attention on this catastrophic event. He says the message that hundreds of thousands of people remain indesperate need of help appears to have been lost.

"If this storydrops off the radar and people just forget about Myanmar, then thesituation can be dramatically worse," he said. "But, right now, theoutlook is good because the aid work is getting done, help is beingprovided. But, again more work needs to be done."

The BurmeseRed Cross has a network of thousands of volunteers who are often ableto go to areas that are inaccessible to other aid agencies. SinceCyclone Nargis struck, the Red Cross has provided short-term emergencyrelief to more than 500,000 people in severely affected areas. It hasdelivered 2,500 tons of relief goods by air and by sea.

Abrahamsays it will take people a very long time to get their lives back tonormal considering the magnitude of the devastation caused by CycloneNargis. He says the Red Cross multi-million dollar appeal will go along way toward meeting that goal.

"This money will be used tocontinue to provide the emergency response to assist 100,000 householdsfor the next 36 months," said Abraham. "We will be looking at shelter,water, hygiene promotion, sanitation, psychological support andlong-term disaster risk reduction training."

Abraham says RedCross volunteers are intensifying community education for theprevention and control of disease. Another priority is strengtheninglivelihoods. He says the Red Cross will provide strong support tovulnerable communities to help them rebuild sustainable agriculture,fishing and cottage industries.