Russia's Ties with NATO Deteriorating

27 August 2008

Despite long-standing opposition to NATO, Russia cooperated with the Western defense alliance on a number of military, political and humanitarian projects. But Russia says it feels threatened by NATO's eastward expansion and the prospect of possible Georgian and Ukrainian membership in the alliance. In the aftermath of recent hostilities in Georgia, Moscow has now frozen relations with NATO in a number of areas to protest Western support for Tbilisi. VOA Moscow correspondent Peter Fedynsky looks at the status of the troubled relationship and its implications for Georgian and Ukrainian NATO membership.

He says there is another issue that shows how fragile the world is, when one person, such as Mr. Saakashvili, can take it upon himself to become a provocateur and upset the global system. Rogozin accuses the Georgian leader of trying to grab the laurels of fame by provoking great nations into war just as Gavrilo Princip did.

Rogozin expresses hope that scenario will not come to pass, adding however, that Russian relations with NATO are complex.

Pavel Felgenhauer says the implication of Rogozin's statement is the prospect of World War III and a possible nuclear exchange. Felgenhauer notes, however, that all sides at the start of World War I thought hostilities would be brief and victorious, while the threat of nuclear annihilation today prompts everyone to avoid escalation.

"And that is well understood here [Russia]. So there is more talk aimed at Western public opinion to frighten people who would agree, 'OK, we can give away Georgia, we don't know nothing much about Georgia, it's far off. Let the Russians have Georgia if that can help avoid a World War.' So I believe this is basically propaganda aimed at Western public opinion," Felgenhauer said.

Pavel Felgenhauer says Russian leadership is prepared for worsening relations with NATO and is counting on a divided response in Old Europe, and on China and other rising Asian powers to help create a multi-polar world that is more to the liking of the Kremlin. That, he says, would inflict a strategic defeat upon the United States, which would end any hopes that Georgia and Ukraine have for NATO membership.