S. Africa Prepares for Enormous Crowds at Mandela Memorial

December 09,2013

JOHANNESBURG — Mourners in South Africa are expected to crowd into a football stadium Tuesday for the main public memorial service for former president and anti-apartheid leader, Nelson Mandela, who died last week at age 95.

A gloomy day in Johannesburg. Workers are preparing for the crowds of mourners expected to converge here Tuesday to say goodbye to the late president, Nelson Mandela.

Security is being tightened around the stadium where Mandela made his last public appearance, three years ago during the World Cup football championship.

Several thousand journalists from around the world also are attending what is expected to be one of the largest funerals in South African history.

Onseziwe Dokolwana, a student of computer science, came with some friends to reflect on the Mandela heritage. “He [Mandela] played a big role in uniting the black and white people. Now we can interact with people freely without any fear that they are going to pull [arrest] you or what.”

Millions agree. That is why officials, wary of overwhelmingly large crowds, are urging people to avoid the stadium and remember Mandela at places closer to their homes.