Shortened Obama Asia Trip Highlights Economic Goals, Strategic Pivot

October 03,2013

WHITE HOUSE — President Barack Obama is scheduled to attend the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Bali, Indonesia, and the East Asia summit in Brunei. But there are concerns he may cancel the trip to deal with the shutdown of the U.S. government. Regional political analysts say the president's appearance at the gatherings is important.

Last year, then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton represented the United States at APEC.

But attendance by a U.S. president is important, especially this year, says Murray Heibert of the Center for Strategic and International Studies

"There have been serious questions, beginning a year ago on [U.S budget] sequestration, that the U.S. couldn't get a budget done, can it maintain the security relationships, the joint exercises, those kinds of things . . .so there are real questions in Asia whether the full U.S. government is engaged on the Asia re-balance, or whether it is only certain parts of it," said Heibert.

APEC aims to further free trade and ensure sustainable growth.

The United States and 11 other APEC economies are working to conclude a new U.S.-led free trade group, the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Matthew Goodman, a former White House coordinator for APEC, speaks of a shift in thinking by China, which has viewed the Trans-Pacific Partnership as deliberately trying to exclude it.

"I personally think the reason for that shift is Japan, because Japan joined this thing is now a serious undertaking and it poses some real questions for Beijing's leadership in international trade and regional affairs as well," he said.

Regional security and maritime issues, including South China Sea disputes, are in the spotlight at the East Asia Summit in Brunei.

Michael Green, a former director for Asian affairs at the National Security Council, says the U.S. strategic "pivot" to Asia is moving forward.

But Asian nations have big concerns about budget battles in Washington and U.S economic stability.

"Most of these big Asian allies of ours, Japan, Korea, Australia, trade more now with China than with us, but it is intermediate trade," Green said. "It goes to China then it goes to us, and it's part of a global production network that still hangs on the health of the U.S. economy. So, they are all worried about this.

The White House says President Obama's attendance at APEC and the East Asia Summit is important both for U.S. security goals and to underscore the importance of the region for the health of the U.S. economy.