Steelers Beat Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII

02 February 2009

The Pittsburgh Steelers have won Super Bowl XLIII - defeating the Arizona Cardinals in a thrilling 27-23 football game in Tampa, Florida.

The Steelers now own a record six Super Bowl titles. And, star receiver Hines Ward has the nickname for the collection.

"We call it a six pack. They [the fans] are calling it a six pack," he said. "We can bring home a six pack to all the fans back in the city of Pittsburgh."

Ward caught two passes from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, both on the opening drive, to put the Steelers in position for a field goal. The Steelers got a touchdown as the second quarter began.

Arizona's Kurt Warner answered against the NFL's top-rated defense with an impressive drive of his own, capping it with a scoring toss to tight end Ben Patrick. The Cardinals were on the move again near half-time. But Warner's pass to the end zone was intercepted by Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison, who rumbled the entire length of the field for a 100-yard score.

Harrison says the win is more satisfying than Pittsburgh's last Super Bowl triumph, three years ago.

"This one means a lot more to me than the previous one. I was only on special teams," he said. "I actually only played in two of the playoff games including the Super Bowl [40]. So this one means more to me because I am a core guy on the defense now."

With the score at 20-7 in favor of Pittsburgh, at the end of the third, the fourth quarter provided the most drama of the game. Warner connected twice with receiver Larry Fitzgerald for touchdowns, the second a 64-yard strike that put Arizona in front.

But it was Roethlisberger who engineered the winning drive, culminating in a six-yard pass to Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Santonio Holmes, making the final score 27-23.