Superheroes Sound Off on US Government Shutdown

October 16,2013

LOS ANGELES — What will happen to the United States if the government shutdown continues and the debt ceiling is reached? VOA heads to Hollywood to see what superheroes would do to solve the problem.

On Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles, people dress up as beloved characters from films and comic books so tourists will snap pictures of them. They have their own take on politics. And they know just what the country needs.

"I think all the Republicans can take some of this and some of that and some of that. Sort it out - you know what I mean?" asked one person dressed as the Wolverine movie character.

But the King of Pop sees it differently.

"But it’s also the Democrats at fault because they’re also playing politics, as well. Who is going to win this chess game? Who is on top? Who is not? Who is giving in?" asked a Michael Jackson impersonator.

"Pretty much everybody in D.C. They’re all to blame. They’re the ones that make the rules. The ones that make the laws. So they’re the ones that have to hold the blame. Doesn’t matter who is in office down there or whether you’re Democrat or Republican," said someone closely resembling Jack Sparrow.

"Remember this: It’s for the people, by the people, of the people and that’s what we are. So you politicians, you fat cats, remember one thing. You can be out of office just as fast as you got in to office," said 'Zorro.'

Here in Hollywood, some words of political wisdom from a man wearing a cape.

This report was produced in collaboration with the VOA Mandarin service.