Taylor Swift Releases 'Eras Tour' Movie

12 October 2023

"Look what you...made me do," entertainer Taylor Swift wrote on social media as she premiered Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour movie Wednesday night in Los Angeles, California.

In the music business, a tour is a series of live shows held in many cities.

The pop superstar announced, "We're opening up early access showings of The Eras Tour Concert Film on THURSDAY in America and Canada!!"

The film of Swift's live performances was first planned to open on Friday. It is expected to launch with $100 million in ticket sales for the opening weekend. But early ticket sales worldwide have already been estimated to reach $140 million.

Entertainers have released films of live performances for many years. The Korean group BTS released its concert film earlier this year. Last month, the rock band Talking Heads released such a movie after many years away from the industry.

But this movie release from Swift is unusual.

Greg Marcus is the chief executive of Marcus Corporation which runs a group of movie theaters in the United States. "This is different," Marcus said. "Take your phone out. Take selfies. Dance, sing, get up, have a good time. We want to create an atmosphere."

Unlike many Hollywood productions, The Eras Tour movie does not need any outside advertising. Swift produced the film herself and informed her 274 million followers on Instagram.

The film will play in movie theaters for at least 13 weeks. Adult tickets are being sold for $19.89. That is higher than the average movie ticket price but several thousand less than some tickets to see Swift live.

Late on Wednesday, Swift arrived at an AMC Theatre in Los Angeles. She took pictures with fans at the premiere.

Inside the theater, Swift thanked fans for supporting the Eras Tour, which organizers say sold all available tickets for large stadium performances around the world. "I've never had this much fun in my life as I had at the Eras Tour," she said.

Swift is returning to the ongoing Eras Tour next month with live performances planned in Argentina and Brazil. After that, the tour will head to Japan, Australia, Singapore and several countries in Europe.

I'm Caty Weaver.

Hai Do wrote this report for VOA Learning English from Associated Press and Reuters sources.

________________________________________________

premier –v. to hold an event in which a movie or performance is shown for the first time

ticket –n. a document you pay money for which lets you see a show, performance, or to travel on a vehicle

entertainer –n. a person who performs for money

concert –n. a musical performance

selfie –n. a picture of oneself taken using the front facing camera on a smart phone

stadium –n. a huge structure, often without a top, in which thousands of people watch sports and big events