Tensions High Between Washington and Minsk

06 May 2008

Tensions remain high between the United States and Belarus. In this report from Washington, Senior Correspondent André de Nesnera looks at the latest diplomatic row between the two countries.

Simply put, relations are not good between the United States and Belarus - headed by president Alexander Lukashenko. Recently they have deteriorated even further after Belarus expelled 10 U.S. diplomats - a decision U.S. officials described as "unjustified and unwarranted." Belarus also accused the United States of recruiting citizens into a spy ring.

Marshall Goldman from Harvard University agrees.

"He's really erratic - except that you know that if you criticize him, he'll be consistent and won't tolerate that kind of criticism," she said. "In some sense, if you're outside the country, he is a bit of a clown. But inside the country you don't dare laugh at him for his behavior. And he thinks of himself as a kind of superman. And he just won't tolerate anyone saying that he's not behaving well or advancing the interests of his country."

Over the years, the European Union and the United States have been very critical of Mr. Lukashenko who has been called "the last dictator in Europe." Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice depicted Belarus as one of six "outposts of tyranny." (The others are Burma, Cuba, Iran, North Korea and Zimbabwe). In response, Belarus has accused the United States and Europe of meddling in the country's internal affairs.

Experts say Russia, Belarus' closest ally, has been silent in the latest diplomatic row between Minsk and Washington.

Jason Lyall from Princeton University says Moscow is focusing its attention on the inauguration Wednesday of Dmitri Medvediev succeeding Vladimir Putin.

"Right now the Kremlin is extraordinarily distracted with the handoff of power and so I think they just see this as a minor issue," he said. "If this row continues, I think you may see Russia start paying attention - but for right now, I think the Kremlin is so tied up with the handover that this seems to be pretty small potatoes."

Analysts say if the diplomatic row is not resolved soon between Washington and Minsk, Moscow may be forced to take the side of Belarus as it has done in the past whenever there was a confrontation between that country and the West.