Top 5 Songs for Week Ending April 5

April 02,2014

We’re counting down the five most popular songs in the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart, for the week ending April 5, 2014.
Top 5 Songs for Week Ending April 5

1. "Happy" Pharrell Williams

2. "All of Me" John Legend

3. "Dark Horse" Katy Perry

4. "Talk Dirty" Jason Derulo featuring 2 Chainz

5. "Frozen" Idina Menzel

We’re off to a fast start in fifth place, where Idina Menzel vaults nine slots with her soundtrack smash “Let It Go.” This Oscar-winning song comes from a hit movie of historic proportions.

Last month, “Let It Go” took the Academy Award for Best Original Song. That success propels Idina Menzel’s rendition from 14th to fifth place in this week’s chart. The good news doesn’t end there: the movie from which it comes, Frozen, is now the highest-grossing animated film of all time. It’s taken in more than $1 billion, pushing aside the former champ, Toy Story 3.

It’s almost an anti-climax in fourth place, where Jason Derulo again stays put with “Talk Dirty.”  The hit single is the title song from his upcoming third album Talk Dirty, due in stores on April 15 here in the United States. Jason says he’s stopped eating meat and does up to 400 push-ups a day. It’s all to stay in shape for his tour, which resumes April 26 in Melbourne, Australia.
Slipping a slot to third place is former champ Katy Perry and “Dark Horse.” Katy’s prepping a tour of her own and just announced a new opening act. 

Next month, Katy launches her Prismatic World Tour in Belfast, Northern Ireland with opening act Icona Pop. When she hits Texas and Mexico in October, she’ll also feature 17-year-old singer-rapper Becky G.

John Legend is a popular guy…and the numbers tell the tale.  John jumps a notch to second place with his first countdown single, “All Of Me.” The nine-time Grammy winner enjoyed sales of 224,000 this week, taking it past the two-million-seller mark. It also earned 6.8 million streams.
Up at the top, things don’t change: Pharrell Williams wears the singles crown for a fifth week with “Happy” - although you can’t see it under that big hat he’s always wearing. Both he and his hat appear on the cover of the April edition of GQ Magazine in the U.S. He’s also replacing Cee-Lo Green as a coach on the upcoming seventh season of The Voice. The remaining three coaches have yet to be named.

We hope you had fun today and we’ll all meet again next week for an all-new lineup.