U.S., Iran leaders meet in Vienna

08 July, 2015

American and Iranian officials met for three hours Wednesday in Vienna, Austria, to try to reach an agreement on Iran's nuclear program. On Tuesday, international leaders extended the time limit to reach a final deal.

The U.S. Energy Secretary met with Iran's nuclear energy chief twice Wednesday, a top U.S. administration official said. U.S. Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman, America's lead negotiator, also met with Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi Wednesday.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif are also in Vienna, but it is still unknown if they will meet.

Greece offers new bailout deal

Greece asked its European neighbors for a new three-year bailout Wednesday.  It promised to "immediately implement" tax and spending reforms.

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras spoke to the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France. He said Greece would produce detailed proposals by Thursday.

European leaders set Saturday as the final deadline for reaching an agreement that will keep Greece in the euro zone.

Technical issue halts trading on the New York Stock Exchange

Trading stopped on the New York Stock Exchange for four hours Wednesday. Exchange officials said a "technical issue" was to blame.

Trading halted at 11:30 a.m. local time.

Earlier Wednesday, a computer problem forced United Airlines to ground all of its flights. Flights resumed after it was repaired.

____________________________________________________________

Words in the News:

bailout – n. the act of saving or rescuing something (such as a business) from money problems

implement – v. to begin to do or use (something, such as a plan)

resume – v. to begin again after stopping