US Military Chief Says Any Attack on Iran Would be Destabilizing

02 July 2008

The top U.S. military officer says more diplomacy is needed to convinceIran not to develop nuclear weapons, because any military strike wouldhave unforeseeable consequences and could end up putting considerablestress on U.S. forces. VOA's Al Pessin reports from the Pentagon.

Ata news conference, Admiral Mike Mullen refused to reveal any substancefrom his recent meetings in Israel, which came shortly after Israeliforces had conducted an extensive exercise that many interpreted aspreparation for an air strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. ButAdmiral Mullen warned that any "destabilizing acts" could haveunpredictable consequences, and it would be difficult for the UnitedStates to respond.

"Opening up a third front right now would beextremely stressful on us," said Admiral Mullen. "That doesn't mean wedon't have capacity or reserve. But that would really be verychallenging and also the consequences of that, sometimes, are verydifficult to predict."

The admiral says that is why he prefersthe current U.S. and international policy of trying to convince Iranianleaders to abandon their nuclear weapons program through a package ofincentives and punishments.

Admiral Mullen, who is Chairman ofthe Joint Chiefs of Staff, spoke just a few days after newsorganizations quoted an unnamed senior defense official as saying thereis increased likelihood of an Israeli attack on Iran before the end ofthe year. The official was quoted as saying Israel believes if itwaits any longer, Iran will have a nuclear weapon or a sophisticatedair defense system, or both. Admiral Mullen says Israel has predictedfaster Iranian progress than American analysts have.

Admiral Mullen was asked whether there is "a high stakes bluffing game" going on.

"It is high stakes, it's no question, in this part of the world," he said. "And I guess I'd just leave it at that."

AdmiralMullen also endorsed comments earlier Wednesday by the U.S. Navalcommander in the Middle East. Admiral Kevin Cosgriff said the UnitedStates will not allow Iran to close the Straits of Hormuz, at theentrance to the Persian Gulf, as Iran has threatened to do if it isattacked. Admiral Mullen said Iran has the ability to create a"hazard" in the Straits, but not to sustain it against U.S. forces.