US Program Invites Visitors for More Accurate Look at America

23 June 2008

A decades-old U.S. government program to send future leaders fromforeign countries to the United States is gaining new attention -particularly in France, where it is targeting minorities, includingMuslims, and aims to present a more accurate image of America. LisaBryant has more from Paris.

Like many French, 35-year-oldMohamed Hamidi has a mixed opinion of the United States - one that hasnot changed since he went on a trip to America earlier this year, atrip paid for by the U.S. government.

"It was not a positivepoint of view before and it is not a positive point of view now," saidHamidi. "I think it is nearly the same. I think there is a lot ofgood things in the U.S. - a lot of good things in the economy, in thediversity, in the dynamism. But I think there is a lot of negativethings in the U.S. too: social things, the problems with poor people inthe ghettos."

A high school teacher in the Paris suburb ofBondy, Hamidi is among hundreds of French to have taken part in afive-decade old program sponsored by the U.S. government to send futureleaders to the United States. Its aim is to give internationalvisitors a close up view of the United States and ordinary Americans.  

The program's alumni include French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Prime Minister Francois Fillon.  

U.S.embassies have recently been encouraged to target minority leaders forthe visitors program, particularly Muslims, although only a relativelysmall number have been selected in France, home to five million Muslims- Europe's largest community.  

Many are Arabs and Africans,who live in France's low-income suburbs that erupted into violence in2005. It appears their perceptions of the United States are a mix ofadmiration for its music and movies and dislike of its foreign policy, particularly in the Middle East.

James Bullock is head of public affairs at the U.S. embassy in Paris.

"Werecognize that there are also leaders in the minority community," hesaid. "We want to make sure that they are included in these programs. Because when they come back - and we do try to stay in contact - we canbuild on their experience, their three weeks in the States, thecontacts, the ideas they had. And we hope to have a positiveinfluence. Not to propagandize things and say America is all good,America is always right. Not at all."

The drive to give foreignvisitors a more accurate picture of America is also shaped by theSeptember 11 attacks on the United States, almost seven years ago.

"Internationalterrorism is certainly a challenge," said Bullokc. "And if our programsto build better mutual understanding helps to delegitimize the appealof terrorism to young people growing up in the French suburbs, thenwonderful. We are not going to take the place of the people who workin security, police or the military."

An expert on Islam inFrance, Franck Fregosi, participated in the U.S. visitors program inthe past. He says young French from the suburbs in particular canlearn that American society is much more diverse than they imagine.

"Whatis the case of France is to make these young people living in thesuburbs understand that the United States is a very complicated societyin which you have very different societies and these societies can livetogether," said Fregosi. "And I think that is one of the main issuesof this international visitors' program - to make us understand what isgoing on in the United States. And how the U.S. government deals withdiversity in the United States."

Participant Mohamed Hamidi isan ethnic Algerian whose parents are practicing Muslims although heis not. He spent three weeks touring the United States in May,visiting Washington, D.C, Mississippi, New York and Los Angeles. Hesaw poverty and tough neighborhoods, but he also says he was impressedby the diversity in the U.S. government.

During his visit,Hamidi had a chance to meet U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama,who is black, at a rally in Philadelphia.

"I was very impressedby the people and the man," said Hamidi. "I think for us in France,Barack Obama is an example. In France, people from Africa or NorthAfrica or Asia ... you have no deputy, no senator black or Arabic. Inthe U.S. you have one who can be the president of the country."

Sincecoming back to France, Hamidi has been writing about his experience inthe United States in his blog and speaking about it to his students.

TheU.S. focus on the suburbs has received new and not always accuratemedia coverage here. One French article suggested the CIA wasrecruiting in the suburbs.

Efforts to build cultural bridges are not new.

TheFrench government, for example, has programs in the Bronx, a tough NewYork City borough, and brings Muslims and other visitors to France toget a better understanding about its idea of secularity and theseparation of religion and state.

Bullock says the message of the visitors' program is simple.

"Itis a very general message," he said. "That America is a diversecountry. That Americans are going to work every day, trying to make aliving. Trying to get their kids through school - all the things thatpeople in France are trying to do."

As for Hamidi, he says thatwhile his trip to the United States has not changed his view ofAmerica, it has changed the way he thinks about France.