US Senator Proposes Massive Increase in Foreign Aid to Pakistan

19 February 2008

An influential member of the U.S. Congress, Senator Joseph Biden, is proposing a massive increase in non-military financial aid to Pakistan.  Senator Biden made the proposal during a news conference in Islamabad and VOA correspondent Meredith Buel has details.

The three met with President Musharraf and Senator Kerry described Mr. Musharraf's reaction to the election results.

"He made it clear to us that he looks forward to working with the other parties," he said.  "He expects the new prime minister and the new government to govern.  He said he would respect the power of that prime minister in the new government."

President Musharraf has been a key U.S. ally in the war on terror, but Senator Biden suggested it is time to broaden American foreign policy.

"This is an opportunity for us to move from a policy that has been focused on a personality to one based upon an entire people and a move to a genuine Pakistani policy," he added.

Senator Biden says it is time for Pakistani leaders to focus on the future, restore constitutional order, insure a free media and an independent judiciary.