WHO: 80% of Urban Residents Breathe Unsafe Air

30 May, 2016

From VOA Learning English, this is the Health & Lifestyle report.

A new study finds that more than 80 percent of people living in cities are breathing unsafe air.

The World Health Organization study on urban air quality says those most affected live in the world's poorest cities. The study finds urban air pollution has nearly doubled in 3,000 cities over the past two years. The cities are in 103 countries.

The study also shows that almost all cities with populations over 100,000, and in developing countries, have air pollution levels that do not meet WHO guidelines.

The WHO warns that as air quality worsens the risk increases for many diseases. These include stroke, heart disease, lung cancer, and breathing diseases such as asthma. Poor air quality is also responsible for an estimated seven million premature deaths every year.

Flavia Bustreo is WHO Assistant-Director General of Family, Women and Children's Health. In the report, she says that dirty air in cities most affects the youngest, oldest, and poorest people.

However, her colleague, Maria Neira, says there are effective measures to deal with the problem. Neira leads the WHO's Public Health and Environmental Policy.

"You will see that in those cities where measures have been put in place, you can see a decrease on the levels of air pollution and, therefore, on the health risks caused by air pollution."

Neira agrees in the report that "urban air pollution continues to rise at an alarming rate" and severely affects human health. But she says the study shows improvements too. In her words, "awareness is rising and more cities are monitoring their air quality."

This includes increased monitoring of particulate matter in the air.

"Particulate matter," also known as particle pollution, is a complex mixture of extremely small particles and liquid droplets. Particulate matter is made up of a number of parts, including acids, organic chemicals, metals, and soil or dust. The WHO study finds a reduction in air pollutants could lessen deaths from particulate matter by 15 percent.

Carlos Dora is Coordinator of WHO's Department of Public Health and Environmental Policy. He says there are low-cost ways to improve air quality for even the poorest cities. These methods include using renewable power sources, such as solar and wind, and sustainable public transportation.

"If you have clean transportation means, like cycling, walking or rapid transit systems -- where you have a lot of people being carried with a few vehicles -- then you have less air pollution. Or, if you have cities like New York, which have cleaned the fuel to heat and cool the buildings in a major way ... then you have important improvements in air pollution."

The report says the areas with the poorest air quality are in the Eastern Mediterranean and South East Asia.

I'm Anna Matteo.

Lisa Schlein reported this story from WHO headquarters in Geneva for VOA News. Anna Matteo adapted it for Learning English. Caty Weaver was the editor.

___________________________________________________________

urban adj. of or relating to cities and the people who live in them

stroke n. a serious illness caused when a blood vessel in your brain suddenly breaks or is blocked

premature adj. happening too soon or earlier than usual

colleague n. a person who works with you : a fellow worker

monitor v. to watch, observe, listen to, or check (something) for a special purpose over a period of time

renewable adj. able to be extended for another time period : able to be renewed : restored or replaced by natural processes : able to be replaced by nature

sustainable adj. able to be used without being completely used up or destroyed : involving methods that do not completely use up or destroy natural resources : able to last or continue for a long time

rapidadj. moving quickly