Wizard of Oz Gets a Movie Prequel

March 18,2013

The story of the Wizard of Oz, the magician who inhabits the Emerald City has weathered time. Written by Frank Baum in 1900, the fantasy has become a movie and a play many times over. Its most famous incarnation was MGM’s lavish 1939 production starring Judy Garland and her ruby slippers. Now, a prequel to the original has been made to court audiences in the 21st century.

Like the original, Oz the Great and Powerful, a new release by filmmaker Sam Raimi, opens in black and white.

Circus magician Oscar Diggs, played by James Franco, is taken to the Emerald City where he’s destined to claim the throne. First, he’s told, he has to kill the Wicked Witch. He meets three witches. They deny they’re wicked.

It will take time for him to figure out who the bad witch is.

James Franco says the original story inspired him. “I have been a fan of the world of Oz since I was probably eleven, maybe younger. So, I thought it was a really great opportunity to jump into the role of my childhood and imagination," he said.

Sam Raimi’s 3D film offers a good story, rich visuals, good acting and great special effects.

But it can’t match the 1939 Wizard of Oz where Dorothy, played by Judy Garland in her ruby slippers, made history.

She travels to the Emerald City to meet the Wizard who will show her the way back home - only to find that Oz is a fake.

The journey is an allegory of self-discovery.

The Library of Congress named The Wizard of Oz the most watched motion picture in history, says Patrick Loughney, Executive Director of the National Audio Visual Conservation Center at the Library.

“It’s a magical film because it captures that concentration of energy, genius and creativity that was apparent in Hollywood, in the movie industry at that time," he said.

Loughney says the 1939 film carried a post-depression message of endurance. “To me it’s the message of hope in the movie that ultimately connects with everybody at that time, and even today," he said.

Other incarnations of The Wizard of Oz have reflected changes in popular culture. In 1974, The Wiz featured Dorothy played by Diana Ross, with an all-black cast.

"I think it reflects a social change that already occurred in America since the 1950s and 1960s. And so you have major movie studios beginning to accommodate artists coming out of the African American community," said Loughney.

Now, Sam Raimi’s technical marvel, Oz the Great and Powerful, may give new life to the wizard until the next incarnation of Frank Baum’s beloved story.