Wynonna Reflects on Past, Honors Music Legends with 'Sing'

02 March 2009

People are often reminded of events in their lives by songs they hear on the radio. Wynonna had that theme in mind for her new album, Sing, which she describes as a soundtrack of her life.

The Kentucky native first appeared on the Country chart in 1983 as a member of The Judds, a duo that also featured her mother Naomi. After Naomi was diagnosed with hepatitis in 1991, Wynonna launched a solo career.

It took Wynonna a year-and-a-half to choose the 12 tracks for her seventh album, Sing. She covers songs from pop and Country to soul and blues-rock. Wynonna says they deal with a wide variety of emotions.

"This album is about joy and sorrow, love lost, love won, being a mother, being on the mountain, feeling victorious," she said. "Then, the very next second, praying to God like heck that I make the right choice for my kids."

"Sing" includes Wynonna's version of the Boswell Sisters' 1932 classic, "That's How Rhythm Was Born." She also recorded songs made famous by Hank Williams, Tammy Wynette, Bill Withers and Nat "King" Cole, among others. As she celebrates a quarter of a century in the business, Wynonna felt it was important to honor some of music's legends.

"I think 25 years into this, I'm just now getting it - that we are to pay homage to the ones who came before us, which is what the CD does," she said. "And, also enjoy ourselves and celebrate. We have a lot to celebrate."