Yellow Dog Records Roster Boasts Some of Today's Best Blues, Americana Artists

28 April 2008

Memphis, Tennessee is known as "The birthplace of the blues." So it's no surprise that a record label specializing in new blues, jazz and soul music set up shop near Beale Street, home to many of Memphis' world-famous blues clubs. VOA's Doug Levine fills us in on Yellow Dog Records, whose roster boasts some of today's best blues and Americana performers.

Meet The Bo-Keys, a Memphis-based jazz-blues group comprised of former session players for Stax Records, the legendary soul label.

Signed to Yellow Dog in 2003, The Bo-Keys titled their debut album "The Royal Sessions" after another Memphis landmark, Royal Recording Studio.

Guitarist William Lee Ellis holds a degree in classical performance. But a chance meeting with blues and gospel pioneer Reverend Gary Davis steered him towards traditional folk music.

Ellis, Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia and Keb' Mo' are among those influenced by Davis' unique finger-picking guitar style.

Three Yellow Dog recording artists are nominated for Blues Music Awards: Mary Flower, Fiona Boyes and John Bigham, also known as The Soul Of John Black.

The Soul Of John Black is nominated for Best New Artist Debut at the upcoming Blues Music Awards to be presented May 8.

Before going solo, John played guitar and keyboards for everyone from Fishbone and Eminem to Miles Davis and Bruce Hornsby.

Rounding out the Yellow Dog Records lineup are pianist and vocalist Eden "Little Boogaloo" Brent. Blending jazz, soul, gospel, pop and acoustic blues, Brent pays tribute to her Mississippi Delta roots on her album "Mississippi Number One," featuring the track "Darkness On The Delta."